Monday, July 29, 2013

Shorts!

I finished my first pair of shorts! Hooray!
I used this Burda Pattern:
I'm very happy with the result as you can see in the picture below.


As usual, I had a lot of problems with the Burda pattern. I don't know what it is with Burda, but each time I give one of their patterns a go, I remember why I cursed my last Burda project.
That means I had to do a lot of adjustments.
Here's the back view: (BTW Do you notice my 'Katniss Braid'? I'm so proud of being able to do that myself! Ha!)


I had to take in the side seams and the inside leg seams. Burda's patterns seem to run larger than other companies. I also lengthened the shorts. Because seriously, who wants to look like Madonna in real life? Obviously, I only realised the shorts were so short when I tried them on, so I had to cut out and sew on a new piece for the cuffs.
My finished waistband was a bit on the small side (3.5cm instead of the promised 4.5cm), so I cut another piece and folded my new waistband on the seam. Does that make sense?
I also did my very first lapped zipper. I wish I had done some research on beforehand and used this method instead of the Burda method. It makes more sense and would probably have turned out a little bit better. (Although I'm not totally unhappy with how my zipper looks now.)


All in all I'm very happy with my new shorts and I love wearing them. They're so comfortable! I used a cotton with some stretch and it suits this pattern perfectly. I was a little worried that this fabric might be a little on the thin side, but that wasn't necessary really. It wrinkles a bit but not too much and feels light and breezy on a hot summer day.


Oh, and did I tell you I used a fab nautical button?



3 comments:

Zoe said...

Oh my those are FABULOUS!!!! they look so damn good! As does your hair. Love the nautical button addition. I find Burda patterns come up large too, but I can never bring myself to cut a smaller size, just in case that one is the pattern that they finally decide to make a normal size! xx

eline said...

Thanks :-)
Same thought exactly, every time I cut out a Burda pattern I think about cutting out a smaller size, but I never do... Hehe

Anonymous said...

Sissie,

I've probably already told you, but the shorts look wonderful on you! :-) When you come back from your holiday, I've got some buttons for you (that our Aunt gave us). Well, the ones you want to keep anyway (I've spotted another nautical one between them!). That is, if I get around to unpacking that particular box by then ;-)